Comprehensive planning is a process of working with the entire community to develop a shared vision and strategic plan with objectives, goals, and a roadmap for implementation.
Communities in Illinois are authorized to establish planning commissions and develop comprehensive plans under the provisions of Illinois Municipal Code (65 ILCS 5). Comprehensive planning is a critical step for communities that are an ever-changing collection of people, organizations, and businesses to be sustainable.
What is a comprehensive plan?
- the core statement of development policy and principle
- a vision for the future
- a plan formed by the people, responding to the community vision
What does it contain?
- summaries of community feedback gathered using a variety of traditional and non-traditional outreach methods
- linear and spatial analysis of data and information
- a roadmap to achieve sustainable growth for everything from housing and infrastructure, to recreation and transportation and land use
How is it created?
- collect community input & insight
- analyze data
- assess the current condition
- create the plan