- In 1966, the Bloomington and Normal combined population exceeded 50,000 people, and made our community eligible to establish an MPO serving a Metropolitan Planning Area (MPA)
- From April 1967 through May 1968, the organization of the RPC was defined by a 7-person steering committee; by-laws were adopted, the Commission was organized and adopted a Regional Service Agreement with the County, City and Town.
- In June 1967, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development certified MCRPC as the Areawide Review Agency for all applications for Federal funding in McLean County
- In January 1968, the McLean County Board formed MCRPC. The new RPC was also designated as the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO). 35 Commission members were appointed to the Regional Planning Commission to represent all the incorporated communities in McLean County
- In June 1968 the first executive director and principal planner were hired. Preparation began for development of a comprehensive regional plan for the County and management of the review process for Federally funded projects throughout the community.
- Initial funding came only from the local governments, with McLean County providing more than 49% of the total budget of $39,846 in the first year. By the end of 1969, 47% of the proposed 1970 budget came from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- As of January 1969, the Areawide Review included the following projects:
- Bloomington, for the acquisition of land for Ewing Park expansion
- B-N Airport Authority construction of a runway extension
- McLean County, for expansion of the County Conservation Area
- Normal, for assistance in updating the Town comprehensive plan
- Funding was requested for improvement of portions of Route 66 to Interstate 55 standards through the County
- Tasks included planning services for Bloomington and Normal and surrounding communities, and the update of the McLean County Transportation Study. For the latter, geographic data was collected and inventories of economic factors, land use and population by location.
- Research was conducted regarding social characteristics of the community, transportation facilities and projected needs and financial resources for the transportation system.
- MCRPC began work on regional development policy standards, planning coordination, a regional facilities study, a regional housing analysis and a comprehensive plan for the Village of McLean.
- In 1969 the Commission structure revised from 35 members to 13 members appointed by McLean County, City of Bloomington, Town of Normal